The History of Havre Fire Department
The Havre Fire Department was formed as a volunteer fire department on December 13, 1905 following a major fire on January 14, 1904 in which five City blocks were destroyed. In 1919 a new American LaFrance pumper was purchased, the first truly modern firefighting vehicle owned by the Department. This pumper can still be seen at the Railroad Museum in Havre. In addition to the Department’s progress in other areas, the organization evolved from a volunteer to a paid department in 1922. In 1955 the Havre Fire Department obtained it’s first ambulance (a 1955 Cadillac). Currently our Department is equipped with three wild land apparatus, two engines, one aerial truck and three ambulances.
The Havre Fire Department is located at 520 4th Street in the west wing of the City Complex. The Department is fully staffed with 16 members (Firefighters/EMTs). We serve the City of Havre and Hill County for fire protection and ambulance service, an area of approximately 38 square miles. Our Department also performs public services such as fire inspections, public safety demonstrations, first aid and CPR classes.
The Havre Fire Department coordinates an annual hiring test for the purpose of selecting future candidates for employment. For further information on our selection process, hiring procedure or any other questions contact us at (406)265-6511 or email Mel Paulson, Fire Chief.